Mention October and many people will think of Halloween. But many other celebrations this month provide an opportunity for marketing and publicity.
For example, October 4 is World Smile Day. That’s a great opportunity for a toothpaste manufacturer or the like to hold a contest for the “world’s greatest smile.” People could either send in their pictures, or nominate some “public” people. The contest could be supported through news releases, media interviews, a website, email campaigns and even direct mail.
Or dentists could use the celebration as an opportunity to discuss good dental hygiene and the importance of regular dental checkups.
Counselors and therapists could describe the physiological and emotional changes that occur when we smile (and when others smile around us).
Business consultants could explain how people are more productive when in a congenial atmosphere.
Got the idea? Here are some other celebrations for the month of October:
- Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month www.aspca.org
- American Cheese Month www.AmericanCheeseMonth.org
- Dyslexia Awareness Month www.interdys.org
- National Bullying Prevention Awareness Month www.stompoutbullying.com
- National Reading Group Month http://www.NationalReadingGroupMonth.org
Other events celebrated during October:
- October 4: World Smile Day www.WorldSmileDay.com
- October 6-12: National Work from Home Week www.chiefhomeofficer.com
- October 9: National Stop Bullying Day www.preventbullyingnow.org
- October 20-26: National Chemistry Week www.acs.org/ncw
- October 20-26: National Friends of Libraries Week www.ala.org
- October 29: National Cat Day www.NationalCatDay.com