September brings a lot more than the official end of summer and the beginning of fall.
The month is full of anniversaries and other celebrations that can provide “excuses” to get publicity or do other marketing.
For example, my cat reminded me that September is Happy Cat Month (www.catalystcouncil.orgThis is a great time for animal shelters and humane societies to promote animal adoptions.
Happy Cat Month is also a great opportunity for vets and pet stores to do some marketing. Maybe develop a checklist for people to determine how happy their cats are.
Or perhaps do a photo contest for the “happiest looking cat.” They could announce the contest in a news release, on their websites, in their offices or stores, and in an email message to their clients and customers. They could repeat the process to announce the winners.
The month of September has many other celebrations, including:
- Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eat Chicken Month www.nationalchickenmonth.com or www.eatchicken.com
- Library Card Sign-Up Month www.ala.org/librarycardsignup
- Healthy Aging Month www.healthyaging.net
- Whole Grains Month www.wholegrainscouncil.org
Other events celebrated during September:
- September 1-7: National Waffle Week www.wafflehouse.com
- September 15-21: National Indoor Plant Week www.NationalIndoorPlantWeek.com
- September 15-21: National Singles Week email@example.com
- September 22: American Business Women’s Day www.abwa.org
- September 24: National Punctuation Day www.NationalPunctuationDay.com
- September 28: Family Health and Fitness Day www.fitnessday.com
This information came from Chase’s Calendar of Events, a great resource for anyone who wants to take advantage of celebrations and anniversaries.