Online Construction Management Service Builds Momentum
Situation & Challenges
Richard Sampson Associates (RSA), a construction project management firm, had developed online software for the company’s own projects.
The service, Construction Communicator™, was so well received, RSA decided to launch it as a separate product. However, the company had limited resources, and other larger and better-financed entities had faltered trying to automate the construction industry.
RSA wanted to generate sales leads for the software.
To get maximum impact for Construction Communicator, Kay:
- Did extensive database and online research.
- Helped position the product and develop the basic messages.
- Named the product.
- Wrote the Web site constructioncommunicator, optimized it for search engines and submitted it to the search engines.
- Developed all marketing and PR materials, including the news release, datasheet, online demo, FAQs and users guide.
- Arranged interviews with editors and major industry analysts, including the Aberdeen Group, Gartner Group and IDC.
- Monitored editorial calendars (listings of upcoming articles planned in magazines) for potential placements.
- Developed and pitched story ideas.
- Wrote and placed contributed articles.
- Developed and monitored a Google AdWords campaign.
The online software has generated favorable coverage in major trade publications, including:
- California Builder & Engineer
- California Construction Link
- Construction Business Owner
- Construction Executive
- Engineering Times (now PE Magazine)
- Modern Steel Construction
The initial launch was successful, generating leads. In the second year of the program, leads increased 200% compared to the same period the previous year. In the absence of any other marketing or promotional activities, these results are directly attributable to the PR and communications program.
The communications program won the highest MarCom Award (Platinum). The feature story “Selecting the Online Construction management Service” won an award from the League of American Communications Professionals (LACP).
“Kay really spearheaded the Construction Communicator announcement. Her research helped us differentiate the product. She named the product and wrote virtually all the marketing materials, including the Web site, datasheet and product demo. She acted as project manager, coordinating activities with other vendors, and even submitted the site to the search engines. Kay got us media coverage even before we announced the service. Without her help, we would not have been able to announce nearly as quickly or effectively as we did.”
President, Richard Sampson Associates