Content is becoming more and more visual. No surprises there. After all, visuals attract and hold attention better than text. It’s estimated that adding good visuals to a well-written post can almost double the number of views. It also predicted that 84% of communication will be visual by 2018. That is right around the corner, folks.
So I was glad to see the Meritus Media Visual Content Guidebook, which contains lots of practical tips for getting maximum impact from photos. It covers topics such as lighting, focus, composition, lines, perspective and depth.
Here are a few of its pointers:
- Have a clearly defined message and focus on conveying that message.
- Get close up to your subject. You can often tell a complete story in a single shot.
- Create impact by capturing movement or emotion.
- Use different angles to change the outcome.
- Get a soft look to your photo by using diffused light. Get a more dramatic look by using intense light.
- Make an image warmer or cooler by applying a color filter.
- To effectively photograph children, get down to their height and shoot from a low angle.
These are just a few ideas from the information-packed Visual Content Guidebook from Meritus Media. I encourage you to read it.