Americans spend about a quarter of their “online time” on social networks and blogs, according to Nielsen’s third quarter social media report. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392800,00.asp#fbid=LF7speCVOdS
Not surprisingly, Facebook is the most dominant Website. What is surprising (to me at least) is that Americans spent more than 53 billion minutes Facebooking last May alone. That comes down to a total of nearly 101 years.
Where, I ask, do people get all that time?
Other interesting statistics:
- Almost 40 percent of social media users access their networks from their mobile phones.
- People over the age of 55 are accessing these sites on their phones twice as much as they did last year.
- Game and weather apps are the most popular smartphone applications.
- The most active social networkers are women and people ages 18-34.
- Tumblr nearly tripled its unique U.S. audience in the last year.